14 Sept 2016

THE GOOGLE MOM



I have been the most ardent fan of Google since forever, but more so when I discovered I was going to have a baby. Oh. My. God!!! I remember constantly googling stuff about pregnancy and child birth. I read and researched a lot on the internet and I thought Bring it on baby, for I am soooo ready. Oh! I was soooooo wrong. But more about that later.

Coming back to Google. As my daughter kept achieving one milestone after another, I always found myself going back to google to find answers to general concerns about parenting. You know, topics like ‘how to do massage’, ‘what to feed my fussy toddler’, and even ‘how to do toilet training’. After my daughter started school, my google searches became more generic. ‘Dora themed birthday party ideas.’, ‘Best out of waste projects’, ‘polka dot pink dresses’ (because that’s what Minnie mouse wears). You get the drift, right?

Whenever my daughter had a doubt, I was always the one with the answers (much thanks to Google of course). But that was to change, much too soon. This one time, I was helping my daughter pick out clothes that she would wear that day. And the conversation went something like this.
Me : “Do you want to wear this yellow shirt with these pink slacks?”
DD : “This is not pink Mamma, this is Fuchsia”
Me : !!!!!!!!!!! Say what ?!!!!! (quickly fishes out smartphone to google ‘what is Fuchsia’)
Oh My GOD!!!! She is right! These blasted slacks are Fuchsia coloured.
How do you know this!!
DD : I saw it on YouTube.

1-0

I felt amazed at the cleverness of the child and gushed with pride. And then it struck me. The tables had turned. The next day I wanted to display my newfound knowledge, and so this happened.

Me : “Do you want to wear this fuchsia coloured frock today?”
DD : “That’s not Fuchsia Mamma, that’s Hot Pink.”

2-0

Damn it YouTube. I am not ready yet!



2 comments: