12 Jun 2018

THE GUILT TRIP

I sent a quick glance at the clock on my laptop. 4:09p.m.
I had 20 more minutes to finish all the work to meet the deadline for the 6:00 p.m client meeting.
10 minutes later...its suddenly 4:29! (#@!k)
I decide I can probably squeeze in another 10 minutes of work and make for the later train. C. Bear and Tigerlily can wait at their respective childminders for 20 more min! they would hate to be the last ones to be picked up..but will forgive me with a bribe of extra cuddles.

Ten more minutes later, I was still only just halfway done! Very guiltily I asked the rest of the members of the team, if they could manage to finish off the report by themsleves. Which means - COULD THEY FINISH WHAT I STARTED?! Bless them - they said, they would manage it.
I explained them where things where on the network, as I started packing up and running half way out the door.

I sprinted to the station and wondered with increasing guilt, who from the team would have to stay late to finish things up.

C.Bear had been sick over the weekend. And although he looked better by sunday evening, I felt extremely guilty of sending him off to nursery on Monday morning. But I simply could not take any days off. And I spent the entire day soaking in the guilt of sending an unwell child to daycare, (SO THAT) I could go to work!
So I sent an unwilling (ofcourse) child to daycare (guilt alert!)  . Arrive late at work (guilt alert!!).
Ate lunch at desk as i ploughed through all the work that needed to be finished. Not able to focus, cause thinking about C. Bear (guilt alert!!!). Had to leave to pick up kids beafore I could finish stuff (guilt alert!!!). Late to pick up kids anyways (GUILT ALERT!!!!).


And it was pizza for dinner!!!!! GUILT!!! GUILT!!! GUILT!!!

After we put the kids to bed, I asked DH if his day was as conflicting as mine? Was he thinking and worrying about C.Bear like I was? Does he ever have those moments that he is not home tending to or hugging his sick child?
Without skipping a beat, he replied, '' Mmm...No!''. And carried on filling his dinner plate.

And it really stumped me. How was he able to detach himself from the situation and give his 100% at work? He is equally involved with kids as I am , if not more.
Is worrying and this guilt only a mum's prerogative?!


1 comment: